Sunday, December 29, 2013

Windy City, The End

Tuesday Vanessa and I had another day of exploring together.  We started the day off by doing a session at the Temple.  The temple reminded us of Portland OR temple.  It was gorgeous inside but we couldn't expect anything less.  It was a pretty small session but that was okay with us.  After we got done we toured the temple and made friends with the workers.  We walked around the outside of the gorgeous temple and took in the beauty of the grounds. If only I could get my flower gardens to look like theirs.  


There is a door there can you find it? 


After the temple Vanessa said she would like to add Wisconsin to her list of states she has visited so we headed North again but not before we ate at Pot Belly's Sandwich shop.  They were amazing.  I love a good sandwich.  We found a Pot Belly's in a cute little strip mall.  I wish we would have had time for more shopping.  I decided as well, I could live in Northern Chicago it was so pretty and homey. 
We traveled up I-94.  We stopped at a place called the Mar's Cheese Castle.  It lied, there was more beer than cheese.  I forgot about that part of Wisconsin, Beer and Brats.  I should have eaten more Brats while up there.  We also, stopped at Wal-Mart for snacks for the plane ride home the next day and a new big bag to pack the snacks in. Wal-Mart is always quite an experience. 
We continued our adventures until we got to Milwaukee.  We headed west then south again.  I want to say again how gorgeous Wisconsin is.  I could totally live there.  It was breath taking.  We loved traveling around and looking at the cute little farms.  We had to stop at the state line and take a pictures of course.  We got quite a few honks and thumbs up from those heading into Wisconsin. We made it back to Itasca in time to head to Lou Malnati's, another pizzeria with Chicago deep dish. It was so good. We liked the crust better than Giordano's  but the toppings better at Giordano's.  It was a hit though.  A nice going out of town meal. 






We flew back to Utah on Wednesday.  We had to hit up the famous Gene and Jude's  for more Chicago Dogs.  They were okay but they were a lot of onion, we got amazing fries with it though.  We picked up Travis and made the long trek to the Southside to turn our rental car in and head to the airport.  It was bitter sweet saying goodbye to the Windy City.  It was fun week but we missed our kids.  Our plane ride home was not as crazy as on the way out, we did however, have a crazy landing in Denver that was experiencing some weather.  I was scared and that doesn't happen often.  The plane was shaking and the landing was so rough.  We said our goodbyes to Vanessa and headed to our plane to Salt Lake.  It was a great vacation but we were so glad to be back as a family together. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh this made miss Chicago and our home there :( we would go up to Wisconsin every other weekend and would always stop at the Mars cheese castle and get cheese and Carmel's. Agreed its gorgeous there. I miss it everyday.