The 24th started off as normal with the big Beaver Switchback 5k run. I have been running the 5k on the 24th for 15 years- minus a couple of years due to childbirth. I love this race. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. This years race was actually a smaller one though I suspect because the 24th was on a Wednesday which makes it hard for people from out of town. This race had me really worried this year. My brother in law was going to pay my 10 year old nephew $20 if we could beat me in the race. I was really worried because 10 yr old's have endless energy and he wouldn't even have to train and could still possibly beat me. We started the race and I was in head of Spencer. I got to about 1/2 mile in and at that point there is a hair pin turn. I took advantage and looked behind me to see if I could see Spencer. Not 20 ft behind me was not only Spencer but my mom- whom I haven't beat in this race for 10 years- and we were starting the downhill part of the race, which is my mom's best area of racing. I picked it up and tried to keep my pace. I got passed by a couple of people but not my mom or Spencer. I finished the race and ended up beating my mom- not by much but I still beat her. Spencer ended up getting a side ache. It was fun to run. I love that a my family likes to run. This race is one of my favorite races.
We headed down to the parade after the race. Sawyer got a ton of candy, especially after he got a little aggressive. The parade was fun as usual. We headed down to the park for visiting and races for the little kids after. This year Beaver decided to spice things up a bit and have a tug of war. It was so much fun, I hope they do it again next year. The men were so much fun to watch. Travis got in the action and helped the 4th Ward out. The sides may have been uneven so it wasn't very fair.
The kids races were so crowded. Jaylee ran with the one year old girls. She wasn't very happy to run. She made it half way and started crying but kept going crying until she met up with her Daddy. Sawyer ran his race. He was super pumped to have a race. He keeps wanting a metal like his mom's. I told him he has to finish a race.
We visited at the park for a bit but we had to go to the El Bambi to make our lunch reservations. We always have lunch with the Smith's. It was nice to have a little break from the heat.
We hit up the golf course for our annual golf outing. Dan, my mom, my grandma, Sawyer, Vanessa, Jaylee, Spencer, and I went golfing. We had 3 carts. We were quite the spectacle. We were able to catch some amazing horse races. We even saw a rider fall off right in front of us. It was nuts. Fortunately, the rider didn't get hurt. Golfing is the best while the horse races are going, we get front row seats.
Allison, hosted the annual Yardley BBQ again this year. It was nice to visit with family and catch up. We don't do it enough these days. Life gets busy, that is why it is so nice to have holidays and traditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment